[Harp-L] Harping in the Moment

I have been following the "Zen/Be Here" threads with great interest. I'm
sure most of us know what it's like to, occasionally, experience a "true
present" while playing. Rarely, a whole band can get in this "detached zone"
together; that's when magic happens! At least, you increase the odds of the
muse(s) descending. In order to be able to progress in any art or
discipline, one must develop certain utilitarian (read:"basic!") skills.
After a point, however; you have to get out of your own f*#ing
way! that means going out on the skinny branches and taking chances! to
quote Ruth Gordon's character Maude, from Hal Ashby's wonderful film"
"Harold and Maude":
    "Just remember, everyone has the divine right to make an ass out of
themselves once in awhile!"
    All that said, you have to do your homework and listen, listen, listen!
taking chances does NOT mean begging to sit in with bands, with just a "c"
harp and a gut full of liquid courage! Save that for the local open stage.
Just as there are stereotypes about certain minority groups in society,
there are stereotypes about harp players - who reprresent a minority amongst
musicians. By using discretion and taking "good" chances, you elevate the
prestige of the instrument and help dissipate the corner that we often
get painted into!
Here's to getting in and staying in the zone!

Regards, Craig

--
Peace, Love and Freedom! - Craig