[Harp-L] Zen Harmonica

ooommm... oh!

My recent review of Jon Gindick's band included, I think, a reference to how lively Jon was on stage.  He wasn't puttin' on an act or being self-conscious, he was just being Jon having a good time playing in - and with - the music. It worked great!   So, whatever's natural, comfortable and cooperative with your bandmates.

I like the livelier approach, too, and when I'm comfortable enough on stage I too have fun moving around, playing noise toys when appropriate, shuffling with the horns, waving a napkin to cool off the plankspanker, or standing undistractingly and gaze upon the singer/soloist.   But I ain't climbin' no curtains or doin' splits!

And sometimes when I'm nervous I emulate Alan Wilson and go behind the stacks or into the wings, or (gasp) turn my back to the audience to watch my bandmates.

On a slightly comic note, I remember seeing Ten Years After in '69, with Alvin Lee standing stiff as a board playing 40 notes to the bar, as his bass player (Leo Lyons?) flailed and spun and jumped and played about 1note to the bar. I'd say Leo's one note was as good as Alvin's 40 (maybe that's a different issue...)

-Dave Fertig