Re: [Harp-L] Re: Art Tube MP

Quoting windsaver@xxxxxxx:

I have to agree. For tube mic preamps, the tube that the designers used is probably going to be the best choice.

I'm going to have to humbly disagree with the last few posts on this thread. I am hardly a tube or electronics expert, I just know what I know from experience. The idea of switching out tubes in the preamp section of an amp actually came from a posting on this list recommending subbing a 12AU7 for a 12AX7 by someone about a half dozen years ago which I saw when I was trying to adapt my guitar rig to harp. The original posting recommended it as a way to cut down feedback, which I was having a lot of trouble with at the time.

Admittedly I have only tried this on the ART preamp, a Music Man 1x12 50 watt combo and my 25 watt '61 Rickenbacher combo amp, but I noticed a much warmer sound, a "rounder" and smoother distortion, a marked decrease in volume and a lot less feedback consistently for all three pieces of gear. I eventually put a 12AX7 back into the ART and the MusicMan since those get used for other instruments, but I kept the 12AU7 in the Ricky, my dedicated harp amp.

My original point was that since this is a discussion about tube gear, switching out the tube being used to get a different sound or performance characteristic was worth looking into. Your mileage (and opinion) may vary.

On a side note, if anyone is in the Austin, Texas area over the next two weekends with a taste for the Bard and the blues, I will be playing a lot of harmonica in my capacity as music director for the Austin Shakespeare Festival. There are bits of Toots-inspired jazz chromatic and some hardcore Little Walter-isms combined with famous scenes from Shakespeare's work in our company's original production "Will Power" being presented on the main stage in Zilker Park near downtown Austin the 18th-20th and 25th-28th at 8 pm. It's free, it's under the stars, it's in Austin and it's a wonderful production. Any fellow Harp-l denizens who attend, please stop up and say "hey."

Best regards to all,

Ed

Ed Kliman
Producer/Publisher
Texas Music Forge

"Written, musical and electronic communications
   for a changing World..."