[Harp-L] Re: Top 10 living diatonic players

On 5/12/2007 4:06:07 PM, Tony Eyers (tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Who are the top ten living diatonic harmonica players, based
> on recorded output and influence?

Ermm... No Toots Thielemans?  Charlie Musselwhite?  Yasuo Watani?  Magic Dick?  Franz Chmel?  No Stevie Wonder?!?!

Although Tony's 'down under', there are likely players in Europe and Asia fitting this criteria as well or better than many of us here, [mostly in the States,] are even aware of.  Plus, such lists, which are subjective as all getout at best, change with the tide.  Heck, right now, one would probably have to add Taylor Hicks, wouldn't one?  >cringe!<

Recorded production, "influence"?  How about Cham-Ber Huang... Blackie Schackner... Gary Primich... Robert Bonflglio... ?

Narrowing it down to 3 might be easier, and Today, I'd guess it's Stevie Wonder, John Popper and Toots Thielemans.  Or to make it 5, add Charlie Musselwhite and either Howard Levy or Kim Wilson [Howard on output, Kim on popular influence.]

Maybe a better list might be the top few players that influenced you personally?  As for me, it's honestly impossible to characterize such things in any meaningful way.  That's just me.

Bobbie

Get a free email address with REAL anti-spam protection.
http://www.bluebottle.com