Re: [Harp-L] long slot short slot -- was: Suzuki Firebreath Reed Update

For any given reed position, i.e., hole, a long slot reedplate will
have longer reeds, jsut as you note in your example. If the Hole 7 reed
on a G harp is the same length as the Hole 5 reed on a D-harp, then the
Hole 5 reed on a G-harp will be longer than the Hole 5 reed on the
D-harp. SAme will be tru of Hole 7, and all the reeds when the two
harps are compared.

Most diatonics have two overall sizes of reed collections on a
reedplate; one size with longer reeds for lower key harps (up to C or
Db), and a shorter sizer with shorter reeds for higher keys starting
around D. In addition, some models have longer reeds than other models.
For instance, the Hohner MS series has longer reeds overall than the
"handmade"  models, and the Toots hard Bopper has long slot reeds,
while other 270-style chromatics in C from Hohner, including the recent
(since about 2002) Toots Mellow Tone, have short-slot reeds.

Longer reeds have more flex to them. This makes them easier to bend up
in pitch when overblowing, which is the desired quality hoped for in
the Firebreath and Pure Harp. Other qualities include the ability to
handle a larger energy load (more surface area), and less need for
large weights on low-pitched reeds. Various other quailities are
perceived for long-slot reeds; you can probably find additional
comments in the archives.

Long-slot reeds are not universally desired. Some players perceive a
greater responsiviness to soft, nuanced playing in short-slot reeds as
their lower mass requires less energy to activate.

Winslow