Re: [Harp-L] Vocal/harp mics

I'll  tell ya something I do, hopefully it might help you out some here.
First thing  is, I almost always use an SM 58 at my own gigs. I'm planning on
working out a  good amp sound, but for right now I play clean and get some of my
tone out of  what I do with the back of my throat. Sure now makes a PM 58 (I
think those are  the numbers) for about a little less than half of what a 58
costs. I'd say it's  a pretty good mic for vocals and harp. I know I'd try one.
      OK, what I do when I play an open mic  through the house PA is talk to
whomever is in charge of the board and find out  what mic I'm going to be
singing/harping through and I get them to turn the gain  down just a little. Not
the volume, the gain. When I play harp through this mic  that has been set for
vocals with the gain turned down a little, I don't cup all  the way, I just
play right on top of the mic without holding it at first, then  gradually grab
more mic as I see how it handles the feed back issue. Most of the  time I can
end up pulling the mic off of the stand and really getting down, BUT,  you
can't walk around 'cause when you get in front of a monitor, or a main  speaker
it's feed back city. There's a fine line between feedback and cranking  anyway.
        Hope this helps
           Randy

In a message dated 5/9/2007 2:06:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,