Re: [Harp-L] Can I play minor songs on the major harps?

I good, simple example of 5th position can be heard here:
http://www.amazon.com/Country-Boy-Down-New-Orleans/dp/B0000001HL  on
track 12,Percy Randolph playing  'Jack of Diamonds' key of B minor on a
G harp. You can  use a lot more of the harp than Randolph does here, but
it's a great example of a lowdown blues played in 5th.
RD

>>> Robert Coble <robertpcoble@xxxxxxxx> 10/05/2007 11:34:40 >>>
Yes, you can play minor songs on the major harp.

3rd position (Dorian mode) is often used for minor blues,
more so than 4th position (Aeolian mode; natural minor).
5th position (Phrygian mode) is also minor but not used
very often for minor blues.

There are some songs that work better using a minor tuned
harp. A lot depends on what you want to play for the song.
If you're playing riffs/fills/licks, a minor harp may not
be useful. If you're playing melody, it might be very
useful. YMMV.

I ain't going into the positions/modes/music theory snake
pit again; do a search through the archives if you want
to learn more. It don't matter what you name it; it DOES
matter if you can PLAY it the way YOU want it to sound!

HTH,
Crazy ('bout harp!) Bob