Re: [Harp-L] "Pre-War" Harmonica

The first four cuts appear to be pre-war rural blues. The rest of the
collection is definitely urban and appears to be mostly post-war.

My previous post about the Harmonica Masterclass concert mentioned
several prewar rural players.

While the pre-war / post-war divide is not necessarily also a rural /
urban divide (especially since pretty much all the recording was done
in cities by commercial companies looking for something to sell to
known population segments), it does largely fall that way.

Prewar rural styles tend to differ from postwar urban styles. The
earlier players used a host of techniques that either were not used by
such seminal urban players as John Lee Willimson, or had no application
in the context of a large, electrified band, or both.

Some prewar players (both blues and non-blues) might include, in no
particular order:

Blues Birdhead
Jazz Gillum
Noah Lewis
Will Shade
De Ford Bailey
Sonny Terry
Willim McCoy
Daddy Stovepipe
George Bullet Williams
Hammie Nixon
Gwen Foster
Garley Foster
Lonnie Glosson
Humphrey Bate
Kyle Wooten
Henry Whitter
Palmer McAbee
Jed Davenport
Alfred Lewis
Freeman Stowers
Chuck Darling
Arteleus Mistric
Herman Crook
Joe Werner
Ernest Stoneman
Jaybird Coleman

A couple of decent harmonica-centered anthologies (I know there are
more out there):

http://www.yazoorecords.com/2019.htm

http://www.yazoorecords.com/1053.htm

Winslow