Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Real creativity

SmoJoe responds to Barnum Ansel's query with "Jason Ricci"

"On May 6, 2007, at 11:54 AM, Barnum, Ansel (Ansel)  wrote:

> Recently Iâm beginning to become disillusioned  with my childhood
> harp heroes. Last night I heard one of  them in concert which was
> admittedly a great show. However,  it was the same one Iâd heard
> last year, the year before,  and so on going back to when I first
> heard them ten years  ago. And that seems to be the trend amongst
> most in my harp  pantheon. Yes, they conceived of great music at one
> point  in time, but they donât continue to do so, instead replaying
> the great ideas they (or someone else) thought of in the past.  And
> even those that do periodically come up with new  material on a CD
> just rehash it like a jukebox in  concert.
>
> So my question is: Where is the *real*  creativity? Who are the
> musicians that play something fresh  every time a harp meets their
> lips? I certainly appreciate  that the diatonic harp and blues form
> imposes constraints  that chromatic jazz players do not face. Which
> is why Iâm  searching for those geniuses able to break through these
>  barriers to that zen state of art. Who can I turn to for
>  inspiration of exciting, dynamic, creative music that continuously
> flows into the instrumentâ-in this case, a diatonic  harp?
>

> Ansel
>
> _
Jason  Ricci"

.....and while I believe Jason probably comes the closest to  fulfilling this
impossible task....the question itself poses almost  insurmountable
difficulty for ANY musician...no matter their  instrument.

What singer or instrumentalist changes their style and approach,  coming up
with innovative and "new" music each and every time out?   Vern made some very
good points about how an audience would  neither appreciate nor accept that
from an established artist.

Jason certainly does always strive to play his best and  differently every
time out, for each performance...but he and New Blood  also have their
"standard" songs their fans want and demand to  hear....that's the whole point of
having a following.  An evening  spent at one of their gigs wouldn't be as complete
or satisfying for me if  they didn't do Blue and Lonesome (sung as only Jason
can)...and Sonja  - a gorgeous and fairly new instrumental.  Now there're a
new  couple of brand new songs added to the repertoire which might eventually
rival those two as my favourites, but I'm not complaining.

While understanding a fan tiring of the "same old, same old"  after years,
...there is a wide gulf between hearing the same concert from  10 years ago and
expecting "something fresh every time a harp meets their  lips".  Surely you'd
allow for some middle road?  If some of  your heroes have gotten bogged down
only in the old, well it might be  time to attend a Live show of an innovative
player such as Jason  Ricci.

You MIGHT be wrung out and need to be walked for a while in order not  to be
put away dripping wet afterwards   _Click here:  Internet Archive: Details:
Jason Ricci and New Blood Live at Morristown  Unitarian Fellowship on
2007-03-10_ (http://www.archive.org/details/jrnb2007-03-10.flac16)    ..click on
"Drifting  Blues" from this particular night's download.  That alone should be
enough to give you an idea of how he plays :)  I'll guarantee you  won't be bored,
and you just might find that well of exciting creativity  you seem to be
seeking.

Elizabeth