Re: [Harp-L] Re: ...and Donald Black

I'm happy for Donald that the Highlander is being received well in the
UK. The idea for this was something he was very passionate about during
our chats at SPAH 2005.

I look forward to being able to play one eventually. I'm someone who
likes and values the unique qualities of both my Suzuki Asian-tuned
tremolos and my Hohner Echo harps. Each has a unique sound and
response. The Highlander appears to be an effort to offer options to
the Echo player, both in an alternate tuning and in higher quality
construction.

On one of the Scottish lists, people were asking, well, what's so
special about a harp with a flatted 7th in the scale in first position
- why not just play in second position?

The answer to that is that you have much fuller chording abilities in
first position with this tuning, while it's very spotty in second
position when you play up above the first octave, where most trad
playing is done (unlike blues, which spends most of its time in the
lower part of the harp).

Winslow