Re: [Harp-L] volume knob

What kind of connector does the bullet mic have?
XLR?
5/8" Switchcraft?
1/4" phono?
What cartridge is in the mic?

Not all "bullet mics" are the same.

My JT-30's usually have Shure Controlled Magnetic Hi-Z elements and 5/8"
Switchcraft connectors.  My Green Bullets go with Switchcraft connectors or
the adaptors that are available to plug in guitar cords.  In the case of the
adaptors, I remove the barrel of the adaptor and install the 5/8" threaded
end into the matching threads in the mic, drilling a hole to allow the wires
access into the interior of the shell.

A volume pot usually has three connections.  The middle is the "wiper."

This the way I do it.

The "hot" lead of the cartridge will go to the wiper (middle connection) of
a variable potentiometer (100Kohm audio taper -my preference-  volume pot)
otherwise known as a variable resistor.  One of the other contacts on the
pot will connect to the ground connection along with the ground lead from
the cartridge.

In the case of a mic with the Switchcraft connector, the third connection
(output) of the pot will go to the center conductor of the Switchcraft
connector.  Depending on which connection goes to ground (and the other to
the connector) which way the volume goes up or down.  I prefer clockwise to
increase volume.

In the case of the 1/4" phono connector, the output lead coming from the pot
goes to the tip and the ground goes to the ring.

Does that help?

PEACE
Scott
Believe in Magic!