Re: [Harp-L] magnets

Some triple-beam balances are magnetically dampened so that they don't swing back and forth for ever.  I assume that the motion of the reeds would be dampened somewhat by the eddy currents created when the reeds move through the magnetic field.

  This is just a guess.

  It seems to me that the magnets would change the reed vibration in a manner similar to turbo tape.

  Will

Leonardo Kenji Shikida <shikida@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  from:

http://www.harponline.de/index.php?page=specials/hering/specials106_goldblow_01&lang_id=en_GB

Hering released new diatonic harps, customized for overs.

Among several interesting characteristics, they're using magnets near the reeds.

I am curious about what is the effect of such mechanism. How magnets
change the harp sound? Do they influence over harmonics? Ou maybe do
they make overs easier?

What are your thoughts?

TIA

Kenji