[Harp-L] Favorite harp key

In a message dated 5/1/2007 2:17:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Jeff  writes:

Something about the responsiveness of an E harp. They always feel   nice and
tight,......Not a lot of tunes based in B  though.

Ron says:
 I too like my E harps and often times guitarists I play with like  to capo
up for their vocals, so the song gets played in B.

But it got me to thinking, which is generally dangerous: Is a
well-customized harp going to give me that same sort of response in other  keys?  I know
this is a bit subjective. Any insight here?

Ron says:
Imho, it's not subjective.  It's fact - a well setup harp will  enable u to
play better.  If it's response u are looking for, it will be  more responsive.
  Embossing is a simple procedure to decrease tolerances between the  reed
and the edges of the slot.  This alone will make your harp more  responsive.  If
u are going to try it, research it in the archives and on  the harp websites
and don't practice on your best harps.
  I give the slot a few strokes, then plink with my feeler  gauge.  This will
help avoid going too far, which will then necessitate a  pain in the ass
remedial procedure. I observe the tolerance with reading  glasses or magnifier in
good light against a white background.  If I  don't hear any buzzing when u
plink, and if I can still see lots of  tolerance, I give it a few more strokes
and plink and look again.
  I'd better stop here before i start another thread called  "embossing".  ha
Ron