[Harp-L] Grammy show report + CD

Hi everyone... just a couple of things... one is that this past Thursday night, I had the incredible good fortune to take part in "Mississippi -- Birthplace of American Music", a concert that celebrated Mississippi's incredible 50-year Grammy legacy.  Sponsored by the Recording Academy, Peavey Electronics, and the Mississippi Development Authority, the show featured headliners Jerry Lee Lewis, Marty Stuart, the Williams Brothers, the North Mississippi Allstars, and Carola, as well as up-and-comers like Soulfire and Sweetwater Jade.  Also part of the festivities, and a special treat for me, was guitarist James Burton, a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (he was inducted by Keith Richards) and guitarist for Elvis Presley, Ricky Nelson, and many, many others.  The show was a benefit for the Blues Foundation and was hosted by Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour.

I got to perform as part of a show-closing medley saluting Mississippi's musical tradition... Soulfire did a few R&B numbers (including "I'll Take You There", on which I joined them for a brief harmonica solo), and Sweetwater Jade sang a few country tunes, including Faith Hill's "Mississippi Girl."  I then sang and played harp on Howlin' Wolf's "Howlin' for My Darlin'" and B.B. King's "Why I Sing the Blues."

Then, everyone came back out for the grand finale and Marty Stuart led us in a rendition of "Will the Circle Be Unbroken"... then we did "Turn On Your Lovelight" and I got to sing a verse of that, with Stuart and James Burton standing alongside me.  It was truly musical heaven and an enormous privilege to be among such great performers, from the headliners to the "up-and-comers" to the "unknown" amazing musicians in the band.

I have been grinning from ear to ear pretty much nonstop since Thursday night, and I am very grateful to have been part of this wonderful show.  You can read more about the evening in this press release.

  The other thing is that my CD hits stores today.  It's being played on more than 65 stations nationwide, and the early review buzz is very good... the Jackson Free Press said: "On Umbrella Man, Scott Albert Johnson displays the confidence of a seasoned musician... With never a dull moment, the album takes the listener on a ride... It has taken Johnson three years to bring Umbrella Man to fruition. It has definitely been worth the wait."

  The CD can be ordered from my website (digital downloads available too) or CDBaby.  Thanks all...
  SAJ