[Harp-L] Re: Seydel,,to meditations on the Bb diatonic

Bob said:

> > This reminds me of the recent negative comments about the key of F (C
> cross harp).

To which Ron responded:

> Hmm, i missed that thread.  In a nutshell, what was the  concensus?  I
have a
> few F harps that seem to be tuned quite  sharp.

Bob then responds:

I think, as I recall, that the issues with an F harp seemed to have been
with responsiveness, but I assume that to be a set-up issue. It wasn't as
much a thread, as a snippet.

Bob said:
> > Personally, I like my F harp just fine. I didn't always, but  I think
I've
> broken it in enough, where before, it may not have been quite  AS
responsive,
> out of the box.

To which Ron responds:

> Bob, i believe that harps needing breaking in is another myth that has
been
> explained a few times on this list.

To which Bob quickly retorts:

Sure, except for my experience stating otherwise. Over time, and I'm talking
months, the reeds seemed to have "loosened up" a bit. For instance, without
tweaking, the 2hole draw did not seem to bend as easily at first. I would,
therefore, equate the term "breaking in", in this case, to having set it up
properly. I'm assuming that my wind (I'm a real windbag, for sure) may have
done some of the "tweaking".

> > I'm beginning to think  that EVERY key is good, if it's been set up well
> enough to properly reflect the  player's natural playing style.
>
> That's my take on it.
>
> > This  makes me think, again, that I should learn more about tweaking my
> harps. I want  them ALL to play as "well" as "my favorite key".
>
> U might want to get  Rupert Oysler's Harp Repair and Maintenance disc
> (available at  harprepair.com).  My harps are certainly better off for it.
> ron

I've been toying with the idea of getting some instructional material. Now
I'm pretty much fondling the idea. Soon, I'll probably make the purchase.
Old retired guys are slow like that.

Thanks for the recommendation. Sir Rupert's been getting a lot of those
lately. I hear he may be knighted soon, for his efforts in the area of harp
advancement. If only,,oye oye.

Bob