[Harp-L] Further reflections on a "favorite key"

I bring my harps to work with me, and play them frequently, as I go about my job. (Nice job, eh?). I entertain, have fun, blow people away, get thumbs up, grins, and various reactions. It makes my day, and some of theirs as well.

When I'm in the elevator at City Hall, going to the credit union where my billions are stashed, I love having a few people in the elevator with me. Unsuspecting, they have no idea what is about to happen. As soon as the doors shut, I whip out one of my harps, and announce,,"ELEVATOR MUSIC"!!! They then get a sample of my best playing, until I get off at the next floor. It's only a short, sweet "burst of blues", but it always entertains (Hey, it's easier than a full gig, and no "equipment" hassles). I've never gotten paid for it, except in the appreciation of having interrupted someone's day with some excellent, sweet harp-tones, and a break from the politics of business.

When I step in the door of the credit union in the basement, I frequently get requests. I blow a few bars, and they're satisfied. It lightens up the day, wherever I go. I do it in line at Starbuck's as well, if the situation warrants. It's almost like tossing out the line, to catch fish. You never know when a harp appreciator is present, not until you play. It also helps to learn to perform, anywhere, anytime.

In doing these impromtu "mini-performances", I've also begun to add vocals, if only something like "I've got the Stater Brother Bluuuuues",,,"From the top of my head to the bottom of my shoes I've got the Stater Brother Bluuuues."

It's really good practice, and I begin to think I may have some talent. (Hey, others with seemingly NO talent are making money performing, why not me?).

But I digress,,(I have no idea what that phrase means, but I've heard it so many times, I thought maybe I'd just throw it in here somewhere, just for good measure,,)

What I began to discuss in my last post was,,uhm,,

Oh,,my favorite key.

I was wondering out loud if it isn't just that when one seems to have a "favorite key", whether it is simply a function of having a harp that is well set up, rather than actually liking THAT key, just for it's particular spot on the spectrum of usable notes.

But here's another thought:

(Holds an instrument up to his ear, causing thoughts to be displayed on a video screen)

I think, therefore I am.

No,,that wasn't it,,someone else said that.

Okay,,here it is,,

There's this guy at work, who has heard my playing various times over the last four years. He's decided to learn harp. The other day, I had with me a set of Lee Oskars, Bb to highG, and a D Hohner Pro Harp, and a C Golden Melody, one I hadn't played much yet (which my late stepfather left me when he passed on). So,,my friend asked me "Which harp should I buy first?" I've heard various responses on this, regarding types, keys, etc. and I suggested to him something I felt would be easy to learn on, handy when playing with others, etc..

Aside from my suggestions, as I was discussing with him the various grips (cups) people use, he decided, quite independently, that he liked the sound of the Golden Melody (C) best. He thought that one sounded best, of the three.

I encouraged him to get one, and he did, as a result, order one over the internet. When I saw him today, he seemed anxious, expectant of its arrival. It's fun to watch him, seeing something almost like it's "being born". I mean this guy has done NOTHING musical in his life, and now he's interested in learning harp. He's a college graduate, in biology.

I think perhaps our "favorite harp" is just a matter of what, eventually, sounds best to us, whatever that means at the moment. By that definition, it may involve a variety of factors,,key, setup, brand, model, etc..

If I had to have just one harp,,on a desert island,,hmm,,which one,,,?

Bob