Re: [Harp-L] Seydel,,to meditations on the Bb diatonic

Jeff Roulier said:

> too curious not to get one the 1847s in my favorite key (Bb for some
reason).

Bob sez:

I also like the Bb harp. I think someone defined what it was once about the
Bb that makes it distinct, as THE harp that best exemplifies the link
between the lower and higher harp keys.

I know it gets the low, honking tones, but it's not so low as to qualify it
as a really "low" harp key, like a low G, for instance. It just seems more
responsive than the lower keys (as in,,it takes less effort to get the same
results in playing), but not lacking in the deeper feel of a "low" harp key.

But I still wonder,,what IS it about Bb? Is there something naturally
resonant about that key's physical characteristics?

Or maybe it's just an illusion that causes some to prefer the Bb. This
reminds me of the recent negative comments about the key of F (C cross
harp). Personally, I like my F harp just fine. I didn't always, but I think
I've broken it in enough, where before, it may not have been quite AS
responsive, out of the box.

I'm beginning to think that EVERY key is good, if it's been set up well
enough to properly reflect the player's natural playing style.

This makes me think, again, that I should learn more about tweaking my
harps. I want them ALL to play as "well" as "my favorite key".

Bob