[Harp-L] death of live music?

I've read this whole thread. Here's what I think are the main problems here,
in Pittsburgh.

1)       The local bands are TOO DAMN LOUD.  This just seems to be an
excruciatingly difficult point to get across to a lot of players.

2)       The middle aged audience here have been spoon-fed classic rock and
60s oldies (Build Me Up Buttercup) to the point where they don't know
anything else.

3)       The venues, with the exception of the Thunderbird Lounge, are all
really ratty and the owners don't want to put much into the upkeep.  The
local club here that supposed to be THE club for blues, Moon-Dogs, is a real
armpit and I mean a real armpit.

4)       Smoking.  People have to get over the idea that making their clubs
is going to be some kind of disaster.  What it's going to do is eventually
bring in more people.

5)       The 20 something crowd just isn't into music in this context.  They
like it in there cars, at home on TV.  This is what they're used to.  They
are also use to really overproduced music that is often selling something
rather than just there for itself.

6)       Last but probably most important:  Most of the bands around here
JUST SUCK!  People don't want to take a good hard look at what they are
doing and be self critical.  Nobody wants to practice so everybody just
plays what they already know so all the bands end up playing the same songs
because that's what everybody knows without having to practice.

I've had a little success with a trio that includes me, a guitarist, and an
upright bass.  We play electric but without the drums the whole thing is a
lot quieter and I have to say it sounds pretty good and the one club owner
where we've gigged likes it too.  There's another band leader I know locally
that's tried the trio approach and is getting a lot of gigs this way.

But I think the most important thing here, in Pittsburgh is that most of the
local blues bands just aren't real good.  I mean *I* don't want to go hear
them either.

Sam