Re: [Harp-L] death of live music?

Here, north of Boston, there are getting to be few clubs that offer blues. I live near Portsmouth, N.H. and there are two clubs in the seacoast area. Jazz is a little better. Most clubs hire the younger bands that play to the younger clientel. It's a bit easier to get week night jobs as a duo or trio, than a full band. Plus, the clubs are pretty much paying what they did thirty years ago. But we plaly for the love of it. Don't quit the day job.

Bullfrog

MundHarp@xxxxxxx wrote:
Rosco said <<long established live music clubs are switching to DJs, karaoke, comedy, etc.>>
Yes there are fewer venues available for live music here in England too.
It is often just that the bar or club can't afford to pay for "proper" musicians, and a dj with cd's and records is a cheap option!
The other thing I've noticed is there are lots of singers just working with backing tracks and not with musicians.
Well, things change...
In the jazz scene it has ALWAYS been hard to get gigs that pay actual money.
Harmonica wise there seem to be fewer harp players working in bands here in London than there were say 10 years ago. This is because a lot of musicians are working as duos and trios to maximise their share of the fee, and harmonica players are sometimes considered to be a "luxury"
Best wishes
John "Whiteboy" Walden
London
England