[Harp-L] Re: death of live music?

Rosco, you mention that less blues and jazz bands are playing live.
Although there may indeed be a widespread diminished interested in live
music across all genres and styles, you are probably seeing the blues and
jazz types hurting more because these kinds of music are increasingly less
popular, especially among the young people who, as you say, drive the live
music sector.

I don't think there is anything inherent about blues and jazz that make them
less appealing to the current generation.  I think the problem is that many
blues and jazz musicians are more concerned about preserving tradition than
about innovating and pushing the music in new directions that can appeal to
a wider audience.  There are some incredible exceptions to this rule,
however, and in my limited experience, these innovative musicians do indeed
pull in younger audiences who are enthusiastic about the music and the live
experience.

Jonathan Metts