[Harp-L] Re: New Hering Diatonic Harp?

Here is the tuning chart for the new Jefferson Gonçalves Harmonica from Hering:
(I got this information from Jefferson himself)

tuner calibrated to 442 for blow notes 1,3,4,6,7,9 and 10
tuner calibrated to 442 for draw notes 1,2,4,5,6,8 and 10
tuner calibrated to 440 for blow notes 2,5, and 8
tuner calibrated to 440 for draw 3 and 7
tuner calibrated to 441 for draw 9

This is a form of just tuning... (not equal tuning) so the chords sound nice.

I have been playing one of these Jefferson Gonçalves Harmonicas since January. It has the same comb and reed plates as a Hering Blues Harmonica. It’s a very nice harp.

(I did, however re-tune 5 draw and 9 draw up to 443. In second position I like a brighter sounding flat 7th. Think of the opening riff to Little Walter’s OFF THE WALL...)

Some of you might remember that Jefferson was at the 1998 SPAH Convention in Detroit. He has come a long way since then. His last two CDs, Gréia, and Conexão Nordeste are both excellent. He is a pioneer in blending Blues with Brazilian roots music. Check it out.

Peter Madcat Ruth
madcat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.madcatmusic.net

Mojo Red <harplicks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi gang,

I was just surfing at one of the online harp stores
(Best Lil' Harp House) and saw a new Hering model
called the "Hering Jefferson Goncalves Signature
Harmonica".

The brief description says that the harp features
antique gold colored cover plates (similar
coloration as the antique brass of the 1923
Vintage) and a "tuning made specially by Hering
endorsee and harmonica player Jefferson Gonçalves
and the Hering luthier Fabrício Casarejos."
Apparently it's a "very personal tuning", but there
isn't any more info about the tuning on the page.

Does anyone know what this tuning might entail? I
am not familiar with Goncalves music and there
wasn't a note layout available on the Web page.
http://www.harphouse.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=780

I'm curious about this harp.

Harpin' in Colorado,
-Ken M.