RE: [Harp-L] Hohner Echo 1494/28 Key of C - ?Availability of new reedplates?

I have used Echos for many years and, much as I like them, I have found that they're very prone to drifting out of tune so that the tremolo on some notes becomes way too fast (one possibility) or almost disappears (depends on which of the reed pair has gone out!). The problem is, because of the intermediate tuning they're in, you can't readily tune them up using a tuner (though I can because I put all mine into equal temperament when I buy them ;-)). Sometimes, if you use trial and error, you can get the harp more or less in tune again. Excessive tremolo: you need to tune up the top reed (i.e. the reed on the top reedplate) of the pair slightly. Insufficient tremolo: tune up the bottom reed. A tiny amount of scraping makes all the difference. No tremolo could mean either that one reed is not sounding (Echos are very prone to this - often its just a piece of fluff or similar trapped in the reed) or that the bottom reed needs tuning up. A "dead" hole is most likely to be due to fluff. Unfortunately, because of Hohner's 19th century means of attaching covers and plates, you'll have to loosen and refix at least some of those wonderful little nails to get at everything. And recheck all fine-tuning with the covers held in place before nailing them back, as your altered embouchure when the covers are off can lead to misleading results.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm

From: <hankmuller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Hohner Echo 1494/28 Key of C - ?Availability of new reedplates?
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:41:41 -0400

Can anyone tell me of a place to buy new reed plates for my old Hohner 1494/28? I have one in the key of C that has at least 4 dead holes and 3 or 4 more that are very flat/sharp. I saw Adam Gussow's lessons about tuning a blues harp on You Tube, and may try to fix mine after seing what he does, but I'd truly love to be able to simply replace this set. Any suggestions appreciated.

Hank

Those who would give up any essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty, freedom, or security.
- Benjamin Franklin -