Re: [Harp-L] In ear monitors with harp

blyburn wrote:
> Does anyone have experince with in-ear monitors?  We have been
> looking at the Shure PSM200 system.  How does the system compare
> to floor wedges?  Do you have to mic your harp amp to hear it or
> do you take out 1 ear bud?

I've worked with a band that used in-ears, both with them and with
floor wedges in combination.  They definitely have their good points
and bad.  On the plus side, if you've got a dedicated monitor mixer
and a snake to connect to the main board, you can set up in a matter
of minutes, and sound check is simply a matter of balancing the
house sound.  Probably the biggest benefit is that everyone can
personalize their mix without interfering with anyone else, and your
mix stays the same no matter where you go on the stage.

On the minus side, they tend to disconnect you from the house sound,
in that you can't hear much that's not coming through the monitors.
They cut down on the amount of interaction that goes on on-stage,
because you can't slide up next to someone and say something in
their ear.  Or ever yell someone down from across the stage.  The
band I played with used a stage mic to call tunes and communicate on
stage, but that's definitely limiting (for example, the drummer
can't walk down to the stage mic).  It's tough for guests (of which
I have been one from time to time) to interact on stage if they
don't have ears, they're left trying to flag someone down to get the
next called tune, or key, or whatever might be shared through the
stage mic.

Generally, you need to mic everything so it plays into the mix, or
you won't be able to hear it well.  I have played in situations
where we ran in-ears and also had to do our own house sound, and
generally that means that someone on stage ends up with one ear and
one open so they can hear the house.

Just like anything else, it can be an advantage or a liability,
depending on how well you work with it.

-tim