Re: [Harp-L] Solder on reeds to lower pitch

If you got the solder hot enough to flow and the brass was clean and fluxed then yes the solder will stick and continue to stick. Vern's absolutely correct about the lead. You'll be able to use less heat for a shorter time if you use a lead bearing solder there isn't any way you'll end up ingesting it. Over heating the reeds will shorten their life. If they get too hot they'll dezincify and lose their strength. I have a Lee Oskar plate set that got lowered to low A using solder. I did the work well over a decade ago and no reeds have broken and all the solder was where I left it. I did use a silver bearing solder MG 120 but it has a very low melting temperature and it's well behaved and I've used it a lot so I didn't want to try something new. I do use 50/50 solders for other applications but I don't like them because I don't use them often. You get used to how solders look and flow and then don't want to change and have to learn how a new formulation behaves. Like Vern I use paper under the reeds. If the paper starts to blacken you've used too much heat. fjm