Re: [Harp-L] Howard Levy Amazing Grace- The "Drone" par

"James" WROTE:
<For $1.00, you can purchase Howard Levy doing this traditional hymm. <Its incredible. The melody seems simple We all know it. Howard is <playing G on a crossed C harp The real clincher is this part where is <playing the melody but sustaining an almost "bagpipe" drone at the same <time. Has anyone tried this technique. How does this work? Its almost <your playing the harp from both sides of your mouth at the same time. <Thats the best way I can describe it.

Yes, he's playing out of both sides of his mouth at the same time. This technique has been around for a while. I released a CDs full of solo pieces that use this technique in 1996 and 1999; neither Howard nor me invented it.

For more examples of this technique applied to solo compositions and arrangements for diatonic harp, check out the free MP3 downlaods at my site at:
http://hunterharp.com/mp3s.html

All of the solo pieces you'll find there were recorded with no overdubs--the counterpoint on every piece is done in real time on a single harmonica. (Of course, it's not the same harp on every piece, but every piece has just one harp playing at a time.)

regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
latest mp3s at http://www.broadjam.com/rhunter