Re: [Harp-L] But when it comes right down to it...

Tim Moyer wrote:

> Perhaps the reference was to folks like Charlie McCoy? (a tad older - > been around a bit longer
> ..so not exactly "young"?) or Toots Thielman's? Both of them
> actually did become famous..and
> perhaps relatively "rich" by today's harmonica masters' >
> standards....but only after years of paying their
> dues, years on the road and playing hundreds of studio gigs.

Writing "Bluesette" is what made Toots financially independent. Writing "Low Rider" did a lot in that regard for Lee Oskar. Charlie McCoy is an astute business man who produced, played, and musical-directed for records and TV ("Hee Haw").

I worked on a project with McCoy in Nashville in 1981, and it was downright scary to see him strolling around the studio, casually sitting down at the piano, double bass, etc. and playing them all like it every one was his primary. He wasn't just a great harp player. In fact, he told me that he decided to concentrate on harp because even though he was a terrific rock and roll guitar player, when he arrived in Nashville there were too many guitar players to compete with.

It didn't hurt any of these guys that they were great players too, but very, very few players on any instrument make a very good living by playing. Playing well got these guys in the door; writing and producing great music is what earned them the keys to the house.

If you want to make a good living in music:
1) Write great music, copyright it, and get other people to play it.
2) Develop musical skills beyond harmonica, so that you can fill many roles in any musical organization. Rob Paparozzi is a great example of that: he sings, plays piano, teaches, and functions as a musical director in several bands.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
latest mp3s at http://www.broadjam.com/rhunter