[Harp-L] RE: Jonesin for another mic

Hi,
I know the feeling, I still get gear-hungry on occasion and I have more stuff than I need already. My main mic at the moment is a vintage pistol grip 545 with the on-off converted to a volume pot, and I think that's a cool setup, although the switch is just as useful most times (and honestly, I use the volume control like an on/ off anyway, unless conditions force me to work with the volume more than usual). Like others, I have tried a new one and didn't notice a real difference. But I'm sure there are people with more discriminating ears than mine. Previously, I was using a 540s, shorter barrel than a 545, not the same cartridge but similar sound (and no longer in production. Dave Barrett is a fan of the 540s mics, see the Harmonica Masterclass vintage mic museum). Since the 540s has a pistol grip with the on/off switch, it's a light, versatile piece of hardware, and I'll probably go back to playing mine again some day. Another Shure that I don't see mentioned much is the SM77, the "Starmaker" model, and I was given one of these a couple of weeks back by one of the guys I play with. Similar to an SM57 but only weighs 6 ounces! This is because it doesn't have an internal transformer like the 57, the barrel is a little shorter and some other minor details. Worth seeking out, unfortunately it's also out of production but doesn't seem to go for much used. The SM77 has an "ebony" (black) finish, looks cool although it scratches easily, but more important it sounds good, and especially great for low octave on 64 chromatic . I use a peavey on/off XLR cable with it since there is no switch, and I have a decent Audio Technica inline transformer at the amp end. Anyway, just a reminder that there's lots of cool stuff out there with the Shure label besides the Green Bullet.