Re: [Harp-L] MP3 recording of YouTube

As someone mentioned, you need to use "stereo mix" as an input. You can also
change the sample format and sample rate to improve the sound quality.

just so no one misunderstands dave, i'd point out that you can use the format/rate
settings to minimize degradation of the audio quality, but you can't actually enhance
it that way. resampling cannot add information that isn't already there.

True, what you loose to digital sample rate, you can't get back. Thanks for pointing that out Garry. I misstated what was happening.

When I recorded the audio from the .flv file with audacity it was at the default 44.1K (CD quality) sample rate for Audacity. When I exported it to mp3 and then reimported the mp3 file Audacity reported a 44,100 sample rate for the mp3 file.

When I used MediaCoder to convert the Audio from the flv file to an mp3 and then imported it into Audacity, it reported a 22,050 sample rate. When I checked the original flv file I noticed that it was a 22,050 sample rate.

The moral of the story. MediaCoder transcoded it at the original rate. Audacity recorded at a higher rate, and saved it that way. Anyone examining the file created by Audacity might think that it turned the low fidelity audio of the flv file into CD quality audio. As you say, it didn't actually enhance the quality, it can't. Since I started with something less than CD quality (streaming video with audio), that is the best that I can get back, no matter what it appears to be when done.

Peace and music,
Dave