[Harp-L] Re: Beginners mic and amp

  Disclaimer ... I make and sell the Bottle 'O Blues mic. I also sell the Smokey and Hog-20 amps :-)

  The Smokey amp does have very high gain and is feedback prone with a typical harp mic. A lot of this is because it has strong gain on the high frequencies which is where feedback tends to occur most often. The Bottle 'O Blues works well with the Smokey because it rolls off the harsher high frequencies, plus it has a volume control to back it down a little if its still feeding back.

  The Hog-20 amp is a great suggestion. Its solid state, powered by rechargeable lead-acid batteries, and puts out 20W peak. It is incredibly loud for its size, and has great harp tone. Its naturally very high-pitched so you have to turn the tone down to about 1/4 to sound good. Its tone pairs nicely with the Bottle 'O Blues.I play mine all the time. You can go to my website at www.bottle-o-blues.com and follow the link to SOUNDS to hear me playing a bit through the Hog-20 amp. The sound sample of me playing the Hog-20 was recorded with the amp on a table in my garage and a vocal mic placed about 6ft away so I'm getting a little room reverb.

  I was reluctant originally to respond to this thread because I don't like to sell on Harp-L. But since others brought up the Bottle 'O Blues I thought I'd give my opinion. The Bottle 'O Blues and Smokey is a fun little combo which is great for a raw beginner to learn on, or for more advanced players to toy around with. I've actually used mine at an acoustic jam before when I couldn't be heard. Its very distorted and one-dimensional though. The Bottle 'O Blues and Hog-20 combo is a great setup that I've used to play at Coffee shops and restaurants. Its loud and had great tone. Its a great beginner amped setup.

  Jim McBride
  www.bottle-o-blues.com

Never miss an email again!