Subject: [Harp-L] beginner gear?

Dave Fertig writes:

"Any newbie'd love some cool gear, but why not just have her try OPG  (other
people's gear) for now?"

...Actually not every newbie would love "gear"...since I  absolutely agree
with the rest of your post.

"The  main thing I'd urge is for her to spend lotsa time (years!) playing
unamplified - in stairwells, barns, car, bathrooms, beaches,  anywhere,  getting
her own acoustic tone down.

I sometimes  hear newbies with groovy gear, they can get some good tone with
it, but  often not without it.  Too bad.

Ain't blues all about personal  tone and guts, anyway?

-Dave Fertig"

...not only blues, Dave...ALL harmonica playing should be about  personal
tone and playing from the gut (and heart).

....actually, I finally decided to get a mini-twin Fender amp  (battery
powered) (VERY inexpensive)...and bought a couple of mics off  Ebay..strictly for
practicing up in my Music Room.   I couldn't  possibly want anything "bigger"
than this, not playing out.  I rarely  use it, only have it here to begin to
get the feel of amplified sound once  in a while, for when I'm in the position
of having to play into a mic  at some point.  <G>

Couldn't agree more with what you say.  It seems to me it's  putting the cart
before the horse to get overeager for "gear" until you  have figured out ALL
the other stuff and can really play and hold your own  in a room full of
players with no gear at all.  If it was an  electric guitar one was studying, I
could see the requirement  for some gear..but not for a beginner on harmonica.
Just MY .02  cents, for what it's worth. :)

Elizabeth

http://www.aol.com.