Re: [Harp-L] beginner gear?

I say, do it once and do it right.  That way she won't be disappointed and
will love playing instead of wishing she had a better setup.  The cost of
doing it right the first time isn't that much more than doing it on the
cheap, in fact doing it on the cheap can actually be more expensive in the
long run.  I got a "beginner" guitar many years ago.  It didn't help me at
all.  Once I got a good guitar, I really started playing and enjoying it.
The cheapie guitar was actually more expensive in the long run because it
stifled my learning ability, and I ended up spending the $$ on a better
instrument anyway.  I think your friend will have a better experience and
enjoy playing alot more with a decent setup from the start.

Get one of these (JT-30 Bullet mic shell)
eBaY item # 190087003650

Put one of these inside (Shure Controlled Magnetic element)
eBaY item # 110092019503

and put one of these on the bottom (Switchcraft 1/4 inch adaptor)
eBaY item # 130082137055

then plug a guitar cable in and plug the other end into one of these
eBaY item # 230096982509  (Kalamazoo2 Amp modified for harp)

or  this one  eBaY item # 250090516931  (if your friend doesn't want it, let
me know and I'll bid on it)

That ought to do it for way less than $400.

I got JT-30s for about $75 ea.  The CM elements for $10-20 ea.  Cable
adaptor $12  Cable $20  and Kalamazoo2 around $150+/-  It adds up to less
than $300.  If you're a good eBaY shopper you could do it for less than
that!

If you want to go with a new amp to avoid problems, (Not all vintage amps on
eBaY are as described by sellers - and I am an experienced tube gear tech)
you can save a few bux off that price with a brand new Epiphone Valve Jr.
eBaY item # 320089110311 (My local guitar shop has'em for $120
out-the-door.)  And swap the preamp tube with a 12AY7 eBaY item #
150096754189 to tame it down some and help avoid feedback.

I'm honestly interested to see what some of the more experienced gigging
harpers have to say.

Has anybody tried out the new Fender Champion 600?
http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=2330100000

PEACE
Scott
Believe in Magic!