[Harp-L] Vibrato Technique

Hey Tony,

I think you're absolutely RIGHT ON with your description of Vibrato.  I have
posted several times about this exact issue (how the epiglottis fits in and
all) and you might be able to look up my posts on the subject if you want.
But I NEVER explained it as clearly as you have in your post.  I think your
explanation of how the diaphragm actually works as a generator of back
pressure and is not actually the real mechanical source of the vibrato
itself is correct.

There is, of course, what some call laughing vibrato which *does* use the
diaphragm as the main impetus of the effect but this doesn't really sound
like the throat vibrato most of the great blues players use.

They way I described  it in my original discussion was that one flexed the
epiglottis by closing it down hard, cutting off the sinus passages very
tightly and then learning to flex the back of the throat where the
epiglottis is located without ever really opening the sinuses at all.  But I
never included the idea about using the diaphragm as a source of back
pressure and that's really the other side of the equation.

When I was learning the technique, I never bought the traditional
explanations and was rather frustrated by the constant reference to the
diaphragm as the main issue.  So, I was pleased to see your post on this.
It's nice to see someone tackle explaining this technique and really hit the
nail on the head.  Good job!

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh