[Harp-L] RE Air Harmonica

Last year the band got the chance to film a studio DVD. Not wanting to blow out a harp while miming to the many, many takes with different cameras I came up with the bright idea of taking a blownout harp (different key) and removing all of the reeds with my trusty gerber. Didnt work at all. Without the resistance of the reeds, it was obvious from my cheeks and throat I was miming. So I went back to a real harp (and managed to ruin it with 16 hrs of almost solid playing

Rob V

Not sure this qualifies as "air harmonica", closer to
"invisible harmonica".

A long time ago, I joined my first blues band.  I was
the harmonica player. Our very first gig was backing
up strippers in a seedy little night club on Granville
Street in Vancouver, B.C. Six nights a week.

Most of us drank our weekly wages by way of the
ubiquitous bar tab offered by club owners back then.

After a week of playing, I got to be (platonic)
friends with the strippers.  We were all in the
entertainment business, one way or another.

The youngest one came up to me one night.  She pointed
to my Shure ball microphone and said (this is the
absolute truth),

"I just love how you play that thing, what do you do,
squeeze it?

I resisted the urge to fall down laughing.  I could
hear the sincerity in her voice and see it in her
eyes.  Instead, I told her sincerely that all the
wonderful sound she was hearing came from this small 4
inch object hidden in my hands: a harmonica.

She had never seen one, or, apparently, heard one. Her
name was Angie.  Angie are you still out there?