Subject: [Harp-L] plagarism

Glenn:

This is a very intriguing premise.  You are a professional  player/author who
has written books about harmonica players, so presumably you  also know the
backgrounds of the "well-known" people you listen to, so  understand how they
came up....learned to play harp...who were their  heroes.

   But the thought struck me that if and when I ever learn to  play Blues
harp on a diatonic (I'm primarily a chromatic player at this point),  I would be
learning from the many books/CD's/DVD's/VHS tapes I've bought  (including
yours, btw) ....learning particular ways to play from the  several seminars I've
attended...and picking up some "licks" from the very many  Blues players I've
had the good fortune to hear.

Realizing too that before joining Harp-L in 2004 and going to my first
Buckeye in Spring 2005, I had absolutely no contact with a single harmonica  player
in my life and was away from playing (even the chromatic) for very many
years, what if I took all this new musical inundation that has now been poured
into my ears, became good at it, and "somehow" became "well-known" (let me
explain first that the likelihood of this actually occurring is about on a par
with my being elected the first woman President of the United States<G>),  but
we're merely suppositioning for purposes of this exercise.......

...How then would I, who knew nothing of Little Walter and Sonny Boy  II
other than that they were among the earlier players so revered by many  long-time
Blues players..know or possibly recognize just what musical  phrases  stemmed
from them, or came from the various teachers/instructors  who had taught me to
play?

Frankly, the thought HAS crossed my mind before this, though not about
plagiarism...more along the idea of just how can a person become innovative and
original, when they're learning Blues by playing the same old licks and
phrases, precisely because THOSE are the licks and phases that make up the Blues
they all love so much?

It's a double-edged sword.  People work so hard at nailing a  particular
musical "phrase".....it could take them months or even years.   Do you really
think they're thinking by the time they have it  "nailed"...that they're
plagiarizing it from a harmonica player who passed on  years ago?  I can't fathom that.

 If it was an entire specific song...of course that's
plagiarism...especially if the song is copyrighted...that topic has been  discussed here before, but
I'm wondering how just some notes strung together in  a particular way could
be so linked to one player, no one else should ever be  able to use them?

You've got me....I'd sure be interested in other folks' thoughts.

Elizabeth