[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 46, Issue 62

>    1. Re: Fender 59 Bassman Ltd reissue (Special20)
> > Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 07:36:56 -0700
> From: Special20 <special20harp@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Fender 59 Bassman Ltd reissue
> To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> I think we need a shorthand code for the usual lecture about gear not
> producing tone.  We've all heard it a thousand times.  Maybe the people
who
> feel compelled to remind us about this could save some time and bandwidth
by
> just posting one word instead the whole lecture each time.  That one word
> could be something like "DITTOS," which Rush Limbaugh's listeners use for
> pretty much the same purpose; to take the place of an aphorism everybody
> knows is coming but is so ubiquitous it has become tedious.
>
> Every time anybody asks about gear he gets the same lecture.  But
> look....  We all know how to play harp and we all know that we have to
work
> very hard to get good tone.  There is nothing wrong with aspiring to a
great
> player's tone when buying gear.
>
> So, Tone Dittos to you all.  Gear does not give you good tone.  (And
neither
> does lecturing others about it.)
>
> -Spec20
>

> Sorry, but I have to slightly disagree. Gear makes a big difference in how
you sound. Had a kid in our harmonica contest this year that could play, but
his amp/mic setup sounded awful. I sat in on the winner's setup afterwards
and people who've known me for over twenty years didn't comment on my
playing, but on the tone I was getting.
 So yea, you can't pull a tone rabbit out of an amp hat. But the choice of
equipment makes a big difference in "your" tone.
 On that note, thank goodness for all the different ones!

Brian