[Harp-L] Artificially producing bends

Nick writes:

I got curious about whether the oral environment that
results in bends could be simulated artificially, so I experimented
with drawing on different lengths of plastic tubing of various
diameters and bends, inserted into the holes. (like using a large
flexible straw between my mouth and the harmonica.) I thought it'd be
nice to demystify the process and show exactly what had to happen to
the air flow to produce bends.

No luck so far!

Has anyone else with too much time on their hands tried this? Any
suggestions? Shouldn't it be possible, in theory?

The late Hank Bahnson, inventor of the Bahnson Overblow Harmonica, ran a successful set of experiments along these lines. I saw him demonstrate the results at Augusta Heritage Festival back in the nineties. James (Turbodog) Antaki may have assisted in the experiments, and has done research of his own. You might check out the research section of his website (http://www.turboharp.com/Company/CompanyIndex.asp). Robert Johnston, an Australian, published a scholarly paper on reed physics that describes a mechanical apparatus for producing bends, and this is probably the mother lode:

http://www.dis.unimelb.edu.au/staff/robertj/acust2.html

Also, it's always a good idea to check out Pat Missin and Mike Will's (Myquill's) excellent and amazing sites:

http://www.patmissin.com

http://www.angelfire.com/tx/myquill/

Winslow, did I miss anything?

George