[Harp-L] poor man's embossing station (with appropriate thanks)

In a message dated 6/26/2007 10:01:09 A.M.  Eastern Daylight Time, Rupert
Oysler writes:

For my average set-up the  first thing I will do is reed-flatten, then score
the reed lengthwise, press the  reed heel into the slot, emboss, score the
slot edges near rivet, establish  clearance between the reed
and slot, reshape reed, gap, tune...sometimes  there's days between things to
settle etc.

Thanks Rupert, re your second step, "scoring the reed", I assume you  meant
that with a glasscutter you score the slot, not the reed?

  I've said it before, but i really appreciate your Harp Repair  DVD.
  You've also got me wondering about the actual purpose of  your
reed-flattening - is it to widen the reed to reduce  tolerance or just to properly shape
the reed before starting other  procedures?
ron