[Harp-L] Half valving, etc... + Questions

When I was in Taiwan playing with William Galison, there was a couple of times when he had all of his harps apart on a table, and I noticed one of the 64's was half valved. It really peaked my curiosity, because I love the way Brendan and Bill Barrett bend their CX12's, and was silently wondering how I could acquire such flexibility on a Hohner 280 build chromatic. When William played, I didn't notice him bending any more or less than what I expect to hear from a 64 Chrom in good shape. I still wish I would have pried and maybe even played that harp, to find out. It didn't sound like that CX12 whole note bend action I've heard others play. I really wish Hohner would make a CX16. Doesn't look like it's going to happen.

My experience with the Koch harmonicas has been so negative, all the way down to trying to say the name of the harp with dignity. I would never consider putting a Koch in my mouth! Not even for a record deal....

Brendan, you are dearly missed. I wish there were more techs out there who operate at your level. I promise I won't be picky, just let me know when you open shop. Please let me know where I can buy your new CD. When are you moving to California, dude?

I have recently seriously considered working on my own harmonicas again, not because the guys who are out there at the moment aren't good. It's exactly like Winslow said earlier, only I know what I want, and what is missing, and I believe some years ago I reached the place where my laziness or procrastination in facing that reality has had deleterious effects in my dealings with different techs, not to mention my pocketbook. Live and learn.

Questions:

I play with a modified U Channel embouchure, which serves me very well. That said, I have a hard time playing stock harmonicas. Most of them are too "closed" for me. I have a hard time describing this to techs, but it is easily understood when playing two different instruments. Some harmonicas just blow easier, with a more open, free feeling. I have gapped, retuned, "broken in", etc... it's something else. Recently, I ordered 4 Super 64's from Hohner, and all 4 of them played differently. I just got off the phone with Sissy, she says the 64's are "tighter" now, made more airtight and prone to choke up for players who blow harder. My issue is the following:

How can I get more air through the instrument while maintaining maximum tone quality? Is it really just gapping? I need a very "open feel" that I haven't been able to get, and it's frustrating. I try gapping, but that doesn't get it, at least right away. It's almost like I'm looking for the feel of an incredibly broken-in instrument, but with new, in tune reeds.... any ideas? Sorry if I'm revealing my ignorance on something very basic, but it's becoming an issue for me... I can't perform on stock instruments.

Other question: Has anybody successfully half valved a 64 Chromonica where they could bend more than normally, without sacrificing tone? I've only heard (as Brendan said) it done well on CX-12's... And even then there was some substantial differences.

I don't fantasize anymore about a chromatic that plays and bends like a blues harp, they really are two different instruments. I just wish I know how to adjust my instruments to play them with the most expressive freedom and flexibility - That didn't take 2 - 3 hours a day!!!!

It's nice to see this type of dialogue on harp - l. Thank you all for your contribution!

Damien Masterson http://www.damienmasterson.com or enter my name in any search engine http://www.myspace.com/damienmastersonmusic http://cdbaby.com/all/damienzm 415 305 7138 dzm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Damien Endorses Hohner Harmonicas and Audix Microphones