[Harp-L] Searching for Half-Valved Players

One of the things that most appeals to me about half valved harps -- I prefer
Suzuki's ProMaster
MR350-V -- is the "logical" relationship of the blow bend to the unbent note,
compared to overblows.

I like the idea that if I want to create a B on the C harp I merely blow bend
the 1 Blow. If I want to get an Eb, I blow bend the E (Blow 2).   Obviously,
I am not looking at the harp before I sound the note. I am using my "mind's
eye" as reference.

It's helpful to know that when you blow bend on the notes that you will get a
note a half-step lower -- not a minor third raised (maybe).

With overblows, even if I could execute them on a more or less regular basis
(which I can't) I have trouble keeping track of where they are. To get that Eb
via overblow, you overblow C (Blow 1) and Blow 4 but overblow Blow 7 (C) you
get Db.

(Obviously, if you play overblows, you already "know" where   the overblows
logically belong and probably don't need any valved bends.)

As far as hitting valved blow bends on pitch, you can pick up a good quality
chromatic tuner from $20-50 and a good electronic keyboard for about $100 or
less -- to help on hitting those bends spot on.   Bends have always been
tricky. Anybody can bend a note; it takes a little extra effort to play them in
tune.

And if you don't want to waste your money on getting some of the traditional
draw bends in tune, simply play the scale on the first 4 holes of any diatonic
so that it sounds like the scale on holes 4-7. You need to create the F and A
notes. Failing that, pick up the telephone and listen to the dial tone. It's
an F and use that for a reference point for the bent F.

I think the half-valved diatonic is one of the great underutilized harps
around -- whether you buy a Suzuki valved and play it out of the box (like I try)
or build you own with mylar, scotch tape or medical tape et cetera.

The best part is that you don't have to change what you already know, you
just add a few bent notes where they "logically" belong.

Phil Lloyd