Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Half-Valving a Chromatic

Hi Steve:

The issue of what (or what not) to use on a slide is a constant hot topic  on
Slidemeister (since that site is devoted to chromatics).  The more  advanced
"engineers" there talk about polishing the slide assemblies with very  fine
steel wool to make it as smooth and frictionless as possible, among other
"tricks of the trade", even using other lubricants, including your  suggestion of
upside down in water...to leaving off the back of the assembly  altogether.  I
have only disassembled a chromatic mouthpiece to clean and  polish, but have
never left any solution behind .. always buffing and  drying thoroughly before
reassembly...but then I'm no Pro..don't have the  issue of airtightness to
worry about through a mic or on a recording.

  Most people assume anything tacky would attract and collect dust and
dirt....I suspect Brendan's talking about the merest whisper of vaseline...and
then rubbed out with a cloth...can't speak for him, but like you, I  also can't
imagine using vaseline on the slide, ;)

There seem to be as many "solutions" as there are chromatic players,  though.
 I do wipe the mouthpiece down with either rubbing alcohol, a  packaged
alcohol wipe or a clean wet cloth after playing...don't even  go as far as you do
with the running water, since I still worry  about moisture remaining in the
slide assembly, though some claim even THAT  helps with the airtightness.  Go
figure.

Regards,
Elizabeth

"Message: 5