[Harp-L] Chromatic, diatonic and valved harmonicas

Walter Joyce wrote:

"As much as part of me wants to grow as a musician and that desire leads
me
to thinking about more theory study and the use of chromatic instruments
find two challenges along this path.

I love the way a diatonic harp sounds. I like the tone. Acoustically I
like
strong loud tone when desired for effect, as well as high sweet singing.

Amplified the Chicago sound to me is just killer, there is no other way
for
me to describe it.

Most chromatic players, and the valved sound bite that was posted just
don't
display that sound or tone. Frankly, the sound strikes me as bland and
wimpy."

Check out these clips Walter, and see if you still have the same
opinion. All are recorded on half-valved chromatics:

http://www.brendan-power.com/Music%20Clips/Dargate%20Sessions/Trad%20n'%20Blues%203.mp3
This track "Trad n' Blues", is recorded with Tim Edey and Lucy Randall,
from a new CD called FARRAGO.

http://www.brendan-power.com/Music%20Clips/CPR/Honeysuckle%20Rose.mp3
"Honeysuckle Rose" is recorded with the trio CPR, featuring Lucy Randall
and pianist Geoff Castle.

http://www.brendan-power.com/Music%20Clips/Original%20Tunes/Sgt.%20Major%20Minor%20Start.mp3
"Sgt. Major Minor" is a track from my album TRADISH, recorded with
guitarist Steve Cooney and percussionist Greg Sheehan.

If you're interested, there is more info on these CDs (and other clips
using half-valved harmonicas) on my website.

Brendan
WEB: http://www.brendan-power.com