[Harp-L] São Paulo, somewhat off topic

Hi Bill,

I haven't read the whole text from lonely planet. But it has some good
advice, and some exageration. If I were them, I would exagerate too,
wouldn't want anybody claiming that my information led them to overlook
existing risks.

The atacks to police stations which happened were really scary, but also
really not representative of the security situation in São Paulo. They also
did not affect most of the population, as they happened in specific suburb
areas, and very objectively aimed at the police forces. So the text is, at
the moment, out of date.

But I would follow the advices given while travelling in most bigger cities
where I am not familiar with the terrain:

Security guidelines: [comments in brackets]

Avoid walking alone at all times, Avoid walking at night.

Do not walk on the street with computer bags or other valuables. [at least
be discreet about it]

Keep laptop computers secured in the trunk of vehicles. Be aware of your
surrounding and people who may be watching you or approaching on
motorcycles.

Avoid using ATM machines in public areas. [Inside malls or hotels are good
places]

Keep valuables secured in hotel safes [never had a problem, but if the
service is available, use it. I used it in Germany or China too.]

Avoid public transportation and only use official taxi services or those
recommended by your host or hotel. [Subway is ok, though]

Avoid leaving your luggage unattended when you are checking in at the hotel
and/or the airport.

If somebody announces an assault, never try to react; remember that you have
something more valuable, your safety/life.

All the best,
Fernando