[Harp-L] Searching for (half-) valved players, and an introduction

Fellow harmonica types,

I just recently heard of both SPAH and this list. I have been lurking for a while and searching the archives, but have found little on (half-) valved diatonics, which I like to play. I am hoping to find others who are similarly inclined.

Although I admit that the notes enabled by valving are difficult to control, I have found that with practice and by playing pretty softly I can hit and sustain these notes. (I can even make #2 blow-bend sound like a musical tone instead of an elephant fart.) I am using these instruments for playing blues and jazz. I used to play diatonics for blues and my slide chromatic on jazz gigs, but I find that the chromatic is now extra baggage. It's just that the thin, reedy sound of the diatonic harp is my true love.

I have a Filisko-method instrument which I love and find incredibly flexible, but I am mindful that I can valve ten or more Marine Bands for the price of a Filisko. And then there is the timing...

For those who are interested, the following is a brief introduction:

Me:

I love music, but I like to eat. Apart from brief periods of full-time musicianship, I have mostly been in hi-tech. I work out of my home as a technology management consultant. This leaves me lots of time to practice.

I have played a trombone since before I can remember anything at all. At some point, I realized that I could get more gigs, particularly in blues, rock, etc., if I played something else as well. I had always listened to blues and decided that the diatonic harmonica would be that "something else". I have gigged with my harmonicas since the mid-60s.

I have recently spoken with a couple of players who want to bring only a C valved diatonic to a gig. Personally, I am too lazy to learn all those scales. Also, it's really easy to transpose from a fake book if you have a range of keys available.

Instruments:

I am not able to distinguish much difference between leading models and brands. I have some of each. My chromatic is a Chromonica 64. I have an C bass, which I use occasionally to run walking base lines. Aside from valving harmonicas, I do little modification or maintenance beyond cleaning.

If an instrument becomes "buzzy", I either replace the reed plates or buy a new harmonica. I have read people who say that some of the like ones I have go out of tune after a brief period. I have never had this problem, perhaps because I play rather softly.

Microphone:

I use a Harmonica Honker microphone, primarily because it's very small and its condenser microphone can produce the very pure tone I like for some jazz work. Also, because it is so small, I can easily mute and unmute the instrument. I have electronics to obtain the a variety of sounds, including the sound of a low-quality ribbon dynamic; however, the Honker's internal electronics can actually accomplish much of what I want.

I use a Nady UHF wireless system between me and the amp. This unit, which employs diversity technology and is frequency-agile, has never failed me - even where there was lots of UHF activity. It was also incredibly inexpensive.

Amps:

For small and medium venues, I use a Fender Champ (tube model). My amp stand has a mike holder built in so that I can easily close-mike the amp.

For larger venues, I use a "revival" '59 Fender Bassman 4-10, again a tube amp.

I use tube amps because I understand tube circuits. That's what I had to learn to get my radio licenses.

Hoping to learn more.

-LM