Re: [Harp-L] Funk Vocab C D Eb E G A C

This is the second mode of the A blues scale:

A C D Eb E G

If we center it on C we get:

C D Eb E G A

If we combine this with the C blues scale:

C Eb F Gb G Bb

we get:

C D Eb E F Gb G A Bb

This method of combining two blues scales is well known and has been
described in the jazz literature; it is also reflected in common
practice.

It results in something like a beefed up mixolydian scale - the added
beef comes from the added minor 3rd (Eb) and flat 5 (Gb). (This
nine-note scale is distinct from the bebop scales, whose rationale is
to add an eighth sale degree to a 7-note scale to facilitate landing on
chord tones during scalewise runs where notes are rhythmically grouped
in four.)

What I like about Will's post is his exploration of the modes of the
six-note blues scale. Playing these as up-or-down note sequences helps
develop fluency in their use and suggests licks that become blindingly
obvious (like the My Girl riff) once you explore systematically. Some
of what you find will be familiar, some of it new.

Actually using one of the scale degrees as a tonal center yields a
whole other set of possibilities. For instance, get a D-drone going and
play the A blues scale over it.

Winslow