[Harp-L] Re : Latin harmonica

Excerpt .

Dennis sez :

 As far as "Latin" harp per se I don't think there are a lot
of recordings. I stood in with some blues people last night which
included the NJ living Cuban born harp player Felix Cabrera
(felixcabrera.com).

Hurricane tanks Dennis :

Thank you . I search for guys like him and they are a rare find  :)

On a personal note his Cuban heritage is something I share in my background of ancestry as well as my Mexican ( of course there's a lot of other bloods lines in this old bears body )  , the influence of Cuban music is profound in Mexico as well as here in my own homeland the USA  .

In regards to the the Buena Vista Social Club :

Ry Cooder

< http://www.wim-wenders.com/bio/ry_cooder_bio.htm >

is to be thanked for bringing in many wonderful acts to the  masses .

Besides his great work with the Buena Vista Social Club he made (  among other notable series of productions ) are his  collaborations he did with Gabby Pahinui ( & his sons ) the venerable heroe of Hawaiian Slack Key guitar .

Flash back :

Big Island , Harry K. Brown Park at Kalapana 1972 ( The once but now gone Black Beach seen in many a tourist poster ) camped there one day kicking it , relaxed and returning from as morning surf session ( Oh yeah the famous " Drain Pipe " ) I see some action in the Park near my tent . There in the pavilion as I walk towards it ( my tent near by ) I see and start hearing Hawaiian slack key for the first time live .......There sat The Man

" Gabby "

with  his sons :

Cyril & Blah and by them Ry Cooder , all with guitars playing and entertaining the locals there at the beach  !

As I sat listened mesmerized I also saw they were running low on BEER ! , Off to the nearby " Walter's Store " ( Gone too with the lava flow that covered an entire beach and neighborhood ) to get a couple of 12 packs !

Yeah it was heaven :)

Back to the future .

Ry is a guitar player who's influence runs the world over , any harp playing fool ( like me ) can learn loads of stuff to improve their playing skills .

The Buena Vista project spotlighted many of Cuba's best and the one that RY sought out first and foremost was ( now the late ) :

" Compi Segundo "

who played the Cuban guitar simply called a " Tres " ( the number 3 ) , this guitar's voice is as different and distinct as is the Hawaiian Slake Key tuned guitar , the difference is that a Tres has double strings on the 1-2-and-3rd strings . It has a sound akin to a 12 string steel guitar only the bass lines on the 5 and 6th are of a clear 6 string sound  , the 4th accentuates this feel too , thus giving it a really super contrasting sound with in itself . The Puertorican's  have a Tres too , but it looks more like an old world guitar style compared to the modern look of the Cuban box type ( I may be wrong on this , but I think not ) if there is anyone here in the forum ( Winslo ? ) who can elucidate more on this write me :)

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramon

Aka :

Party_Man1@xxxxxxxxxx