Re: [Harp-L] Name That Tume.... Please/Harp in Western swing

Hey Slim;
              This makes me feel the same way as hearing about
'bluegrass harmonica'.
              Chances are that putting a harmonica in an 'authentic
western swing band'  means that no-one will think it is 'authentic
western swing' anymore.
              Having said that (I play steel in an 'authentic' western
swing band - but very little harmonica!) see if you can get your hands
on some stuff by the 'Rice Brothers Gang'.
              This hot little outfit consisted of guitar, bass,
chromatic harmonica, steel and sax, and was both very 'down home' and
hot at the same time.
              Don't know who any of 'em were, but the steel player was
hot as hell (and kinda rough as well; always 'going for it' - check
their version of 'Alabama Jubilee') as was the chrom. player, who, by
the way, only ever plays in C (ie 1st position) They even make key
modulations to accomodate him (her?)
             Of course there's 'Swift's Jewel Cowboys'  a  band that
were hardly a 'classic' hot Texas string band, but certainly had some
affilliation with the style, and did include some hot chrom. solos by
Jimmy Riddle (who later played piano & some harp with Roy Acuff)
             The only Rice Bros. stuff I've heard was radio
transcriptions on a Japanese vinyl release in the late seventies, with
Cliff Bruner on the A side.
             Doing a Google yields this:
http://www.mp3.com/albums/162919/summary.html

http://www.mmguide.musicmatch.com/album/album.cgi?ALBUMID=1115274

.........and much more. Good luck!
Rick Dempster
Melbourne,
Australia

>>> Slim Heilpern <slim@xxxxxxxxxx> 30/07/2007 8:27:04 >>>
"Over the Waves", I think.

If you like that fiddle style, you might check out Johnny Gimble's
recordings -- he is one of the masters of that style.

Harmonica content: I don't recall ever hearing a harmonica played in
authentic Western Swing music, but I would like to give it a shot some

time... ;-).

- Slim.

http://www.slidemanslim.com

<http://www.davisbluesproject.com/music/lpswaltz.mp3>