[Harp-L] Seydel 1847 overblow-friendly

In a message dated 7/29/2007 6:28:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

<<Ludo, re you re-gapping the 1847, do u start your gapping by  pushing the
reed into the slot near the rivet?

>For embossing I  guess you mean; a tuning fork.
>For chamfering the slot ends I use a  needle file.

Ron replies:
  Ludo, no I didn't mean embossing.  When u say u chamfer the  slot ends,
please tell me what do u do with the file  Is there a website or  somewhere where
i can see this in action?
  You are correct in that slipping with the glass cutter can ruin a  reed.
What I do lately is: I support the reed with a slightly thick  (.005mm or so)
feeler gauge, slid halfway down the reed slot.  This raises  the reed to have
it act as a guide for the wheel of the glass cutter.  Then  i run the wheel
against the reed, near the rivet.  I start very  lightly to establish a track in
the soft brass.  Once u have a track,  the wheel should stay in the track and
not slip out.  Don't drink  a lot of espresso before u do this, ha.
  Online, I bought a light with a magnifying glass built in from Micro  Mark
(here in the US) and i wear double my regular strength reading  glasses.  Did
u see my post a few months ago, called, "Poor Man's Embossing  Station"?  That
helps me immensely in getting a good embossing  result.  It's just a small
overturned box with a small cutout so I can  view the reedplate slots over a
small night light in the box.  I have since  found a nice clear glass casserole
dish to put over the box so i can work in the  reedplate right over the light.
  Fwiw, when i seat the reed into the slot at the rivet end, i  support the
free end with a feeler gauge slid in about half the reed's  length.  Then I
take my Wegen guitar pick and stroke the reed near the  rivet - very very close
to the rivet.  My intent is to push the reed  into the slot for air tightness.
  For embossing, I've been using my smallest socket on a socket  extension so
its' about the length of a pen or pencil, to enable me to grip  well.
  Yes, it was Tinus who only uses a C harp, thanks.
ron