Re: [Harp-L] Re: Gerorgia

On Jul 29, 2007, at 7:59 AM, IcemanLE@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 7/29/2007 6:52:17 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, svolkov@xxxxxxxxx writes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo5EXWKx9qk

What a great example of a mini universe within one short 4 minute song -

Not contradicting you Ice, as I'm sure there are those who enjoy this stuff, and you would know far better than I what is good harp and what is bad, but:

Personally (my opinion) I found it hard to listen to. Too much warbling, too much straining on the part of the harp player. Too may chirps that didn't fit. It's a subtle tune. A sweet tune. This was raucous & bawdy. I would have gone to see Nelson years ago if it weren't for that aspect.

there is pathos,

What? quaverying bends?

joy,

What? hiking up the attack/noise level?

introspection and extroversion

Looked up introspection....naaah. extroversion.....yes. You don't need to break a blood vessel on this tune.

all on display as the tune
unfolds. Willie Nelson is one of the greats to study if you love
understatement  and minimalism to get the point across.

Willie did ok.

Mickey looks relaxed standing on stage "not playing".

Wouldn't YOU? He's been at this a while.

He waits until the vocal line ends before he interjects a short supportive statement -

Supportive.....naaah

and not after everyone, either. His solo is a simple restatement of the melody with
conviction and long sustained notes. Excitement is added by ascensions on the
blues scale - lines leading up to and down from melody notes. I'm sure most here
can "see" what Mickey is doing on the harmonica. That is what makes him so
musically accessible.

The Iceman

Brings up an interesting observation. The other day I tried to watch 'Badguys & Lawmen' on A&E or some such station.

It was cronicalling the lives of Wild Bill Hickock, Bill Tighlman, Dalton gang, Bill Dulin, I would have LOVED this documentary type program if it weren't for the fact that hidden back behind some cactus or burro was someone playing harp in a quivering quavering style. Just stupid out of place riffs & runs and too many 'shakes'. Shakes should be used sparingly or they sound childish. Not once did he slip in a melody line (Golden Slippers, Pretty Redwing). It really sounded awful and after a couple minutes, I had to turn it off.

I think this is what makes harp look bad. Bad harp done badly. (as usual, just my opinion)

Sorry, NO one does GOMM the way I do it (spah 2002).
smokey-joe