[Harp-L] Seydel 1847 overblow-friendly

In a message dated 7/29/2007 9:42:20 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
I bought a Seydel 1847 in G and was really  happy with it, except that the
overblows had the same squeecking sound as some  other brands have. After
embossing, chamfering and putting beewax on the rivets  though, I found it to be
superb.

A while back i wrote a long review of my 1847 (key of Bb),  titled "more than
you wanted to know about my Seydel 1847".  A while later  I followed up with
a couple more comments that i failed to  address in my initial post.  Yet in
both of my posts, i  failed to mention one other aspect that I have never seen
mentioned on Harp-L --  that the front corners of the covers appear to have
been brazed and polished,  thereby eliminating any cutting of a lip.  Although I
no longer have a  moustache, it looks like these covers will not grab a
whisker either.   After a few consecutive gigs of playing my usual Hohners and
LO's, I notice  that I get a small amount of lower left lip damage from playing
the 1  hole.
   But I don't get the OB squeal that Ludo referred to, which is  typical for
LO's and from what i read, other Chinese harps (tho i have never  played
another brand of Chinese harp).  Tho I don't believe my 1 hole OB is  doable, I am
even improving in my ability to get the 7 OD.
I  have yet to touch my 1847 to try to improve it's playability, partly
because I  wanted to play it stock to enable me to assess it as an out-of-the-box
harp.  So, to be thorough and to set the record straight, I may have  been
unfair in my initial assessment of it's ability to OB.  I initially  found the
hole 4 OB was not easy enough for me, but I find that I am improving  in my
ability to OB it.  In all fairness I admit that part of the problem  (maybe even
all of the problem?), could be me and not the harp.  Although  the 1847 is not
cheap, I now see my 1847 as a good value and an  excellent harp.
  My 1847 is the most comfortable and most well built stock harp  I have ever
played.  I find that it plays with a great evenness throughout  the range and
it is a joy to play.  Beautiful harp, thank you again,  Seydel and Rupert
Oysler.
ron - FL Keys