[Harp-L] Cutting Contests, Blues for Breakfast, SPAH blah blah blah :-)

I am sure that Phil wasn't looking to provide a forum to manufacture bad
feelings from anyone but I must side with George and fjm on this one. If
there is one thing I have gathered from the three SPAH conventions that I
have attended in the last 4 years has been an overwhelming atmosphere of
"everybody feels good". I love that part of the SPAH experience. Now I am
not so blind to not realize that at every convention there must be some that
get "bruised" in some way. I just would like to see the "bruising" kept to a
minimum.

As I sit here at my desk on a daily basis I am constantly thinking about
ways that I can make my little "breakfasts" a success at SPAH this year. I
have one idea that I will run by you now to get some feed back. It wouldn't
be classified as a competition but it would be a fun "jam challenge". As I
had mentioned I have over 200 blues jam tracks loaded up on my IPOD to bring
to Milwaukee. I was thinking that interested parties could come up to the
front of the room (one at a time) and I would give them a Key to be prepared
to play in. I would give no other clues. The player would have to "line up"
their harps and be prepared for anything! Then I would push the start button
and they could be faced with anything (including minors) in that particular
key. Perhaps a shuffle or a slow blues or a minor or a swing or a fast
boogie! The player would then show how quick on their feet they are as well
as how versed they are in the different styles. After their performance then
they would share what they felt and how they handled what was "thrown" at
them. Then the audience (if there is one :-)) would be able to share
thoughts/suggestions, ask questions etc. I believe I am a man of good
judgment so I would be very careful not to "over challenge" the less
experienced of players and I would be thrilled to make the experienced
players dig deep into their "well" of talent and give them an opportunity to
show off a bit. It is the give and take dialog that I am hoping to create
that will make these sessions fun and valuable for everyone of all playing
levels.

Most of these jam tracks are 3-5 minutes long. So if someone is "stuck" with
what has been thrown at them then I could push the pause button and let them
express their concerns. Then the audience of many playing levels could make
suggestions and help the player "adjust" a bit. Then I hit play again and
see where it goes!

Just an idea. Now start your engines and fire back at me in typical Harp-L
fashion! Both barrels please :-)

Warren Bee Excited About Milwaukee

Warren Bee Bachman

office- 631-981-1241